Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Black Lines by Chidi Okoye


"heritage"
I have a past like a tribal mark of zebra.
I know where I am.
I know where I am coming from.
I know where I have been.
Like a jungle child, I know where I am.
I know where I am going,
but not beyond echoes of my legend drums.
I have a root;
though brutally shaken and rooted has never given up it's ghost.
I know my roots,
no matter forces of the ruining rain on the graceful body of Ostrich;
Its beauty; will never fade.
I have come to stay,
not to be blown balloon in the crazy chilly wind of Babylon,
but to stay strong in roots that made me thick;
I have come to stay like tomorrow without end.
I have a past, my past is my life the mother of my future.
Like every other journey to the peak,
I am ready to take care of the ups and downs,
to be loved and cherished in the crown of my heritage.
I have a past.

Copyright © 1999, Chidi A. Okoye

1 comment:

Poetist said...

A February day in 1997 when my life was going great
or so I thought, I stumbled into heaven,
And found Art I could relate,
so I bought.
I never do that. I never do that, it must have that INSTANT CONNECTION.
Deep vibrant color, and a stroke of genius feet that were pointed,
the love shown through to me overwhelmingly
I bought number 613/950.
An art auction on a cruise ship I had to have and to this day, this
art makes me happy even when good things go away.
I look at it and find comfort, bright like a sunrise, vibrant like a heartbeat, music that makes me dance, though not with pointed feet, all I need is a glance at the Art of Chidi Okoye to be dancing in the arms of love and take me back to joy.

Thank you Mr. Okoye. When many important things take me to sadness, your art, and now I see,
poetry, brings me right back up
to joy. I hope to soon have enough money to purchase more of your art.
This piece I have, I treasure, beyond any monetary measure,
its priceless.

Thank you for sharing your art, in poetry and on canvas in vibrant color and love. You have a gift.


Elizabeth Moody
Portland, Oregon